Thursday, October 13, 2011

Along for the Ride, by Sarah Dessen

    In the book Along for the Ride, we learn a lot about humanity throught conflicts that the main character, Auden goes through. We also learn a lot about her changes.

   In the beginning of the book, Auden is used to getting everything right, she is in complete control of her life. She knows exactly what she's doing and how she going to do it. But this all suddenly changes when her mother and father get divorced and he gets remarried.Auden has to only slightly alter her focus, but then she gets right back on track. At this piont while I was reading, I couln't help but think to myself, if only I could be that good, to never loose focus or control of my life. But then I started to think, in almost every book, a character like this ends up falling apart at some time. That is exactly what happened to Auden. During her summer break, she has go to her father and his new wife, Heidi's house. When she starts breaking through from the slight chokehold that her mother had brainwashed her into, she begins to go out a little more make new friends. Particularly a friend named Eli, who seems to have her all figured out.

   Auden starts to let go of herself a little, but not in a bad way. When I read these really good parts of the book, it made me think about how just like in Freak the Mighty, It took another person to help steer him in the right direction, it took another person to steer Auden in the right direction too. And that is also what I think Sarah Dessen was trying to do with the character, Auden. You can't do everything on your own, no matter how much you think that you can, because it's impossible. And I think that it's better when you go through journey's with another person anyway.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment