One of the annotations that I wrote in my book was, "He (Max) still puts himself down, talking about how he doesn't have a brain and how stupid he is, but I don't think he realizes that Freak wouldn't be able to have gotten through that situation with Tony D. alone either."
When I wrote this in my book, I was still thinking about how throughout the book so far, Max was always putting himself down, especially when he was with Freak who was a genius. But I would always think about how Freak needed Max just as much as Max needed him.
Something else that I wrote in my book was how Gam, Max's grandmother seemed very afraid of him in the beginning of the book. And even though when Max put himself down it annoyed me, I couldn't help but think that maybe he thought that because he knew that that was what Grim and Gram thought about him, and it made me feel really bad for him. Max was never really dumb, it was just that no one who ever met him thought that he could do anything because no one gave him that opportunity, until Freak came along. I think that the only thing that Max needed was someome to encourage him, and Freak did that so well that even after he died, Max kept changing for the better and I was really proud of him for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment